Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Taking the Plunge

I'm currently...
Eating yogurt with peaches & 'morning mix' granola out of a fabulous bowl from
Fishs Eddy.

Contemplating going to the gym.

Listening to Yankees vs. Orioles on tv. Also listening to Adam shread a never ending pile of junk mail.

Some thoughts:
Many people have told me that they dream of quitting their desk jobs to pursue a fantasy job where they live out their passion each day. Well, I took that dream one step further.

As you may know from my baking blog, I Heard You Bake Cakes, I have a serious passion for baking. Over the past few months I've thought more seriously about this passion, and about what it would be like to bake for a living. I looked into Culinary Schools, I called numerous bakeries in NY/NJ, and I talked to past professors in the NYU Food Studies department. The more I learned, the more I loved the idea of baking professionally.

So, I've taken a huge leap. I've quit my (steady, well paid) job, and I've accepted an offer to be a (lowly, unpaid) apprentice at a well known bakery in NJ. I've also agreed to bake one or two nights a week at a small tea shop in NYC. On top of all the baking, I'll be working retail in bakeries, too (since a girl's gotta afford rent!) This experience can make or break my dream. And I'm hoping for the former.

I hope to write in this blog daily to keep a record of this extreme change in my life, and to hopefully give some wisdom (or warning!) to others who might be considering the pursuit of their secret dreams...

Here goes nothing! Wish me luck!

No comments: