Tuesday, September 2, 2008

MY FIRST DAY OF WORK!

I'm currently:
Eating yogurt with fruit and granola

Listening to the Yanks vs. Tampa Bay

Some thoughts:
I'm officially a baker's apprentice. Today marked my first 'real' day of work at the bakery. It was weird waking up this morning and putting on a white t-shirt and cruddy pants, not 'business casual'. And although it was only about 30 minutes earlier than I am use to getting up for work, it was enough time to make it a lot darker outside.

I had to stay alert on the train to make sure I didn't miss my transfer. I was afraid my sleepy body would be on auto-pilot and take me to my old stop instead. But weirdness and sleepiness aside, all went well getting to work this morning. And when I got there, things were already going full swing.

My first job was to help decorate a few individual and small cakes (Carrot cake, Cheesecake, truffles, Mouse Cakes, etc). A big personal first: I ICED MY FIRST CAKE TODAY! Well, I've iced lots of cakes at home before, but never like this. Never on a pedestal with the correct tools and with precision in mind. The result? Well, I was pretty good. (Nowhere near great, but hey, it was my first day... and my first time!) I also cut forms for some flowers and assembled a hell of a lot of stems. May not sound like much, but this all kept me busy until around 2pm when we all helped throw together more Tiramisu then I've ever seen before.

By 2:30pm I was heading back to the train home. I threw my baking shoes in my bag and put on flip flops. When I got home I realized that the bottoms of my baking shoes were covered in icing, chocolate, batter, etc. Next time I probably shouldn't throw these into my purse... sigh.

Anyway, there is so much more to share... about the people, the atmosphere, the process of baking a few hundred cannolis today, etc. I also can't wait to write about the personalities and the way the men act (I'm sure you can guess about that one!) But all those details I'll save for another time. --I can't give away all the goodies on my first day!

Until next time, Bake Big! Christine

No comments: