Thursday, August 14, 2008

1st Day of Baking-- What a Rush!!

I'm currently:
Watching the Olympics games!

Stealing some of Adam's fries from White Castle. (Yeah, I said White Castle. I couldn't deny him since I was gone all night having fun up to my elbows in cookie dough.)

Some thoughts:
What a rush!! Tonight was my first night of baking at the Tea Shop. It was sooo worth the wait! We made scones with apricots, white chocolate, and toasted walnuts, the batter for sesame coins, and chocolate mud pie cookies.

I got to the bakery at 3pm, and we baked until 8:30pm. (Although it felt like I was barely there for an hour.) S was great at showing me new things and trusting me to work on my own. I thought it would be so much more difficult to bake in a bakery than at home-- but I think it's actually a lot easier.

Why do I say that? Well, for one, I like weighing ingredients as opposed to using measuring cups like I do at home. We used an electronic scale which was awesome! It's so much more accurate, and I think it may actually be faster, too!

The other great thing about the bakery is the TOOLS. Working in a bakery you have everything you could possibly need! Aside from the super cool, super-huge industrial mixer, we used simple things like ice cream scoops and scrapers which I'd never used before. S even gave me a scraper to take home! woowho!

I am dog tired right now, and I need to crash, but I'll write more soon! What a day... I hope this is a sign of things to come!!

No comments: